Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Oysterman--2001


The Oysterman is a hanging I made in 2001. The inspiration came from a photo in the local newspaper featuring the local fishery. The fisherman looked so contented, and the area
around him was so beautiful that I had to get it into fabric. The photographer, Charlene Williams
kindly consented to let me use the picture as a reference.

I used a raw-edge applique technique to construct the boat, fisherman and trees; to create
the appearance of shadows in the water, I used a reverse applique cutaway technique and
many layers of organza, tulle and nylon net. I also smashed an oyster shell and scattered it over the tong board of the boat.
It was purchased by The Canada Art Bank , at the time
more than 1400 art pieces were submitted for consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog or add additional interesting information (example, how does this connect to you?)