Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February TIF Challenge


Among my many memories of my childhood I thought of the Royal Visit of 1939.
King George V1` and Queen Elizabeth toured parts of Canada and Prince Edward Island was
one of their stops.
Things were quite different in those days. We lived in the western part of the Island, (actually
same village where we live now, after many years away) and Charlottetown, the capital was
about 75 miles away. As you can imagine we didnt get to vist there very often so when our parents
decided we were going to see the Queen (and the King of course but she seemed more interesting)
it was quite an adventure for us.
I cant remember very much about it but I know it was a red-letter day and the Queen was
beautiful. We only saw her drive past, not out of the car, but even that was important to us.
As usual my mental picture of what I was going to do was much more ambitious than what I
finally did. or was capable of doing I should say. Just thought I would make things a little more
colorful than they really were. It is postcard size (5x7) and mostly handwork while I was
watching the program about how the Royals work!!
Of course the swastika's represent what was to come. Probably that was the most carefree
day they had for four years.

3 comments:

  1. I love this!! What a wonderful memory! I have always lived in the US, but I am fascinated with the Royals, and have always thought that my mother resembles the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful memory to share and the very evocative reminder of the war to come. Great TIF. Simple things get the point across, sometimes even better than elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out really well and I enjoyed reading about your memories.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on my blog or add additional interesting information (example, how does this connect to you?)