Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wild Garden


Wild Garden has been sitting around for a long time waiting for a decision on how to finish it.
The background was done by stuffing a fat quarter (or larger) into a tuna fish can and dumping
any leftover paint over it, whenever I was painting fabric. This was left for a few weeks and
then taken out and pressed. I was quite pleased with the result and thought it looked like a
good background for a garden of some sort. shapes were cut out for leaves, flowers on upper
right were stamped cut oranges. others were some fake flowers cut up, white ones were shapes
cut from crocheted doilies. tulle was placed over this and a lot of fm stitching done. left part
is covered with cheesecloth and then fme. /Butterflies were cut from a christmas stocking.
I really enjoyed working on this piece.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Verna,
    I really like "Wild Garden". The free-form shape of the piece echoes the free-form image, and I enjoyed hearing about where all the "ingredients" came from!
    Keep up the good work,
    Linda
    quiltlady@san.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wild Garden; it is a gorgeous quilt! I love the organic shape. Thank you for sharing your process. Stuffing fabric in a can and then dumping paint on it sounds like an interesting idea! You didn't take it out until you thought it was ready? Did the paint just soak down through the layers of fabric? It is very pretty. I may have to try that. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on my blog or add additional interesting information (example, how does this connect to you?)